I spent a few days in November with an issue of IE7 doubling my top padding. I gave up the job as just one of those things until I had a similar issue today. FF and Safari were working perfectly but IE7 just wouldn’t play nice.
After a destructive nuke session I was no closer to a solution when I remembered that I was using a Dreamweaver CSS layout which adds code for IE conditional comments. At this point the penny dropped and I could see where the extra padding was coming from.
So I know now that when I have IE padding working in strange ways I should check the IE conditional statement to see if there’s anything hidden there.
I can now happily sign off now and look forward to a very happy new year.